Ask a question or
book an appointment
Get in touch with the Elite Dental of Staten Island team and see how we can help transform your smile!
How to care for and maintain your new smile
Once your smile has been restored to a whiter, brighter, and healthier looking smile, it is important to maintain these beneficial results by following a consistent wellness regime. Although porcelain is stain resistant, your veneers can still become discolored if not properly cared for. You should brush at least twice daily, and floss at least once a day just as you should with your natural teeth to maintain good oral health and the longevity of your veneers.
Consistent and proper oral care will help avoid bacteria from accumulating on the surface and between the teeth which causes many dental problems such as gingivitis, cavities and gum disease. Remember to pay attention to the back of your teeth, as veneers only cover the front surface of your natural teeth.
This will help to prevent your veneers from becoming stained and discolored, and ensure the longevity of your restorations. We also highly recommend that you come in for regular dental check-ups so that we can check for any issues. If looked after properly, your veneers can last up to 20 years.
One of the effects of gum disease is damage to the gums, and even gum recession. Gum recession cannot be reversed, and you cannot naturally get your gums back to what they were before. You can use procedures like tissue grafting to help address where the damage was done.
- Veneers can change the size, shape and color of existing teeth.
- Veneers are porcelain and will not stain.
- Veneers remove minimal tooth structure and are the most conservative porcelain restoration.
In having a veneer, some inherent risks exist both to the tooth and to the veneer itself.
The risks to the tooth are:
- Preparation for a veneer permanently alters the tooth underneath the veneer.
- If the cement seal at the edge of the veneer is lost, decay may form at the juncture of the veneer and tooth.
- Preparing for and placing a veneer can irritate the tooth and cause “post-operative” sensitivity which may last for up to 3 months.
- Teeth which have had veneers may need root canal treatment less than 1% of the time during the lifetime of the tooth.
The risks to the veneer are:
- Porcelain may chip over time.
- If the tooth needs a root canal after the veneer is permanently cemented, the procedure may fracture the veneer and the veneer may need to be replaced.
The alternatives to placing a veneer are to either leave the tooth as is, or to place a restoration using composite materials. Composite restorations remove decay but are limited because they will stain more, and do not change the size and color of teeth as well as veneers.
- Porcelain on a veneer may have a good color match with adjacent natural teeth when the veneer is placed but less of a match as your natural teeth age.
- A veneer may chip or break if used for abnormal activities (e.g. biting fishing line, sewing thread, biting fingernails, opening bottles).
Porcelain veneers can help to repair a number of issues, including chips and cracks. They can also be used to conceal cosmetic stains and discoloration, and can actually be an effective permanent whitening option. Dental veneers are often used to close gaps between teeth, and can even be used to mask misaligned teeth as an alternative to orthodontic treatment.
Dental veneers are made from a durable, chip-resistant material, and can be very helpful in preserving the natural shape and structure of the tooth, while achieving a natural-looking and aesthetically pleasing smile.
At Elite Dental of Staten Island, we offer dental veneers that are made from porcelain. Porcelain can be color-matched to the exact shade of your teeth, which means that your veneers will look completely natural.
We will also make sure that your dental veneers are customized for your particular needs and desired outcome in terms of size and shape. We will ensure that your porcelain veneers balance the symmetry of your smile and conceal any dental flaws that you might have, while still maintaining a beautiful, natural-looking appearance.
Staten Island Porcelain Veneers
If you are looking for porcelain veneers in Staten Island, Elite Dental of Staten Island is able to assist you and provide the solution you are looking for to improve your smile. We offer a range of cosmetic dentistry services at our Staten Island practice, including teeth whitening and smile makeovers.
If you have any questions, be sure to contact us here today, or call us on (718) 370-1200.